April 30, 2007

Where is the access road?

So on the ride home I was thinking more about an access road INTO the book "A Long Way Gone." Now, granted, if this memoir was written when he was 50 it would be a very different book than it is today - probably started when he was 25... or younger considering the loft he moved into was that of a professional storyteller.

The thing I'm missing most is accessibility to his situation. While I have never done the things he has done I have used many of the same psychological triggers he has used. I only have my own experience to draw on to relate to him and the place that where it could happen are these moments that aren't given time. (Either by his own narrative or the editing.) I've used storytelling as a safety device, I've been triggered in times of stress to employ survival techniques and skills and I understand the pleasure I get from those devices. We never see implicitly that he uses his skills to further himself. He is a good looking, friendly faced and intelligent young man. This is a marketable skill for both Ishmael to use to get out and for the people looking to use him as a poster boy. He *knows* this... he's a performer and he's intelligent. He knows how to work a crowd, how to manipulate a crowd ... yet we aren't shown this side of him in the story. At the end of the day he GOT something for what he did. Not brown brown here people... pleasure, enjoyment and revenge. He continued the killing not only because he "had to" (brianwashing?) because he also got a psychological "gimmie" from the deal. And the thing is - THAT'S OK. It's part of understanding why you do the things you do. If we've already forgiven him for the atrocities of war - why can't we give him pardon for being human?

I get that this is something that is sort of "well if the book was this" instead of what the book IS... but I put my finger on why this book rang hollow for me. The person isn't real even though this is a real person. The book suffers from being too much too soon. For Ishmael's story to have full and lasting effect outside of this tragedy I feel like he needs to re-visit it in another 25 years.

No comments: